A: We get this question frequently, and the most accurate answer is, "well, it depends". The time of year, the number of orders, and the total number of video DVDs to be produced for a show influence the answer.
Common sense: We can bang out 20 copies of a 1-DVD specialty show in a day; 250 copies of a 12-DVD big National takes over a week to process, package and ship. If it is our "busy season" where we are all out filming Nationals, then DVD production times are longer. We aren't even in the studio!
Our typical video production times:
Off Season: 7 - 10 days
Average: 2 - 3 weeks
Peak Season: 6 - 8+ weeks
(Peak show season is April/May/June and September/October/November)
A: Filming video during your show is only the first step of over a dozen steps in the overall video production. Here is a list of the key steps that your video DVD production will go through.
01) Record LIVE digital video into DTE (Direct to Edit) system at the show.
02) Duplicate DTE digital video onto Hard disk backup.
03) Ingest digital raw video into RAID array at studio.
04) Sequence video by Show Event and by time duration.
05) Rough Cut Editing by Show day and by Event.
06) Design finish editing templates by Show.
07) Finish Editing by Show day and by Event (Titling, Music, Audio tracks).
08) Export finished video sequences to intermediate codecs.
09) Transcode & compress video sequences to mpeg-2 for DVD authoring.
10) Upload intermediaries to DVD RAID.
11) Design custom DVD menu Templates per Show.
12) Custom DVD authoring by Show and by Event.
13) Export DVD img Files to Duplication Array.
14) DVD duplication run.
15) Design custom DVD label files by Show and by Event.
16) DVD labeling run.
17) Design custom DVD case insert by Show.
18) DVD case insert printing run.
19) Custom DVD assembly and packaging.
20) Final video DVD order processing and shipping.
A: Orders placed before the show, at the show, or shortly thereafter are called PRE-PRODUCTION ORDERS. We offer VERY significant Discounts and priority shipping / handling on pre-production orders. Your payment in advance by credit card, check or cash entitles you to these benefits.
It works exactly the same as putting a deposit down on a discounted vacation special, or buying an airline ticket in advance of the day of travel, or paying your hotel bill in full at check in. Your payment in advance secures special pricing. In our case that is a Discounted Video DVD price and priority shipping and handling.
Please remember that we are a small video company serving an elite niche market – YOU – the show dog exhibitor / owner / handler / breeder!
We have a small staff that both films and edits your show dog video. By remaining small and efficient we can keep our production costs low, and extend pricing to you that makes sense for low volume DVD video productions (tens of copies instead of millions).
What does this mean for YOU?
It means that for $25 - $50 per DVD disc you can get a high quality, highly customized video DVD of your show, but it may take a bit longer especially in peak show season. We aren't a Hollywood studio with a large staff to produce video on demand! If we were, that overhead would drive our video DVD prices to well over $100 per disk on low volume runs typical of breed-specific National Specialty shows (tens of copies; not millions!).
We opted to keep prices low for you, our customers, while maintaining high quality. Production times may be a bit longer though. We appreciate your patience.